Volunteer clearances/certifications are NOT required for the following activities:
• Mystery readers
• Classroom presentations or parties
• Attendance at school events such as assemblies, meetings, performances, festivals, etc.
• Monthly weekend work days or work parties
• Participation on a committee
Volunteer clearances/certifications ARE required for parents, community members and others who volunteer on behalf of the school and may be alone with small groups of students or with an individual student in the capacity of supervision, guidance or control. Clearances/certifications are also required for anyone who volunteers on a routine basis or for visitors who will spend regular, extended time in the school. Examples include but are not limited to:
• Chaperoning field trips
• Working with a small group of students or with an individual student
• Working in the library
• Driving a team/group to an activity
• Participating in extracurricular events on-site and off-site
• College students observing or studying at the school
• Assisting in a classroom
Certificates are valid for 60 months (5 years) from the date issued and must be renewed in order to continue as a volunteer within the school. Volunteers are required to obtain updated clearances/certifications if clearances are older than July 1, 2012. The Child Abuse History Certification and PA Criminal clearances are required and free for volunteers at this time.
- The Child Abuse History Certification from the Department of Human Services is available at Pennsylvania Child Welfare Portal
- The Pennsylvania State Police Criminal clearance is available at Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History (PATCH)
- The FBI fingerprint registration is online at IdentoGo.
- If you have been a PA resident fewer than 10 years, you must complete the fingerprinting process.
- Registration – The applicant must register prior to going to the fingerprint site. Walk in service is allowed but all applicants are required to complete pre-enrollment in the new Universal Enrollment system. Pre-enrollment can be completed online or over the phone. The registration website is available online 24 hours/day, seven days per week at IdentoGo (external website). Telephonic registration is available at 1-844-321-2101 Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm EST. During the pre-enrollment process, all demographic data for the applicant is collected (name, address, etc.) along with notices about identification requirements and other important information.When registering on-line, an applicant must use the appropriate agency specific Service Code ( 1KG6Q9) to ensure they are processed for the correct agency (PDE) and/or applicant type (PDE Volunteer). Using the correct service code ensures the background check is submitted for the correct purpose. Fingerprint requests processed through any other agency or purpose cannot be accepted and are not transferable. If an applicant enters the wrong code by mistake, the incorrect applicant type will appear at the top of the screen. The applicant should select the “Back to Home” button and begin the process again, by reentering the correct Service Code. If the applicant proceeds with the process under the incorrect code, the pre-enrollment and/or results cannot be transferred to another state agency and the applicant will have to start the process over and pay for the background check again.
- Payment – The applicant will pay a fee of $22.60 for the fingerprint service and to secure an unofficial copy of the Criminal History Record. Major Credit Cards as well as Money Orders or Cashier’s Checks payable to MorphoTrust will be accepted on site for those applicants who are required to pay individually. No cash transactions or personal checks are allowed.
All three clearances/certification forms must be on file with the school. Please bring originals to the school office; a copy of each will be made and the original forms returned to you.
If you would like to start volunteering while your clearances/certifications are being processed, you must sign an affidavit and show proof of request of the three clearance/certification forms. The affidavit is acceptable only for the interim period that the clearances are in process. Volunteer Affidavit
View or print a copy of Seven Generation’s official Volunteer Clearance Policy.